An Old School Catholic Message Board

"something You Didn't Know About Me" Thread

LittleWaySoul

HopefulHeart

I really like the North and South miniseries from BBC. Such a lovely ending and soundtrack.

puellapaschalis

I really like the North and South miniseries from BBC. Such a lovely ending and soundtrack.

'Look back. Look back at me.'

- Armitage-loving hearts the world over dissolve into puddles. 

HopefulHeart

'Look back. Look back at me.'

- Armitage-loving hearts the world over dissolve into puddles. 

​Oh that's such a good part! So romantic.... *happy sigh* 

HopefulHeart

I'm not looking forward to a phone interview I have to do this afternoon. A person from my school wants to get feedback on how I feel about winning a scholarship last year. My school's foundation might use the results of the interview later on for publicity. I'm rather nervous.

Maybe rewatching this video will help. :P

Not A Mallard

I don't know what's more depressing: the fact that people are trying to prove that "reptilian shapeshifters" exist, or the fact that I'm watching videos that try to.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I'm not looking forward to a phone interview I have to do this afternoon. A person from my school wants to get feedback on how I feel about winning a scholarship last year. My school's foundation might use the results of the interview later on for publicity. I'm rather nervous.

Maybe rewatching this video will help. :P

​I haven't watched the video, but from my experience in giving LOTS of phone interviews, usually what the people writing the article want most from you are short, quotable, "sound bites." I'd prepare for interviews by trying to think of what I'd say ahead of time, and then writing down any thoughts I had that succinctly reflected my thoughts. If you can do this well, the interviewer will love you, because you will have, in effect, written the article for them. After I'd give an interview, I'd try to get hold of the finished article, and see which "soundbites" made it into the article. I'd use that next time, so that eventually I'd "internalized" the types of thoughts ahat make for an interesting print article.

If you don't feel like you've done a good job, try not to worry about it. It's the interviewer's job to write a good article, not yours. It takes practice to become good at giving interviews.

I was helped a lot by the fact that the firm I worked for had a good PR dept. There was usually an experienced PR person sitting next to me to pass me notes or give me nonverbal cues as to the types of things to say (and not say).

More advice: Try not to say anything that you don't want "on the record." It's not that ethical interviewers will use information that you asked them not to use, but it just makes the writer's job harder..

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do just fine. If you're bright enough to win a scholarship last year, then I expect you're brighter than most people the writer has interviewed.

A couple more thoughts: Maybe try talking to a friend, and have the friend ask the kinds of questions you expect to get, so you can practice your answers, and make notes of your best ones. Also, see if you can find out ahead of time more detail on reason on why the article is being written, and who the "audience" is. Then you can tailor your comments to be the types of comments the writer is most interested in.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

HopefulHeart

​I haven't watched the video, but from my experience in giving LOTS of phone interviews, usually what the people writing the article want most from you are short, quotable, "sound bites." I'd prepare for interviews by trying to think of what I'd say ahead of time, and then writing down any thoughts I had that succinctly reflected my thoughts. If you can do this well, the interviewer will love you, because you will have, in effect, written the article for them. After I'd give an interview, I'd try to get hold of the finished article, and see which "soundbites" made it into the article. I'd use that next time, so that eventually I'd "internalized" the types of thoughts ahat make for an interesting print article.

If you don't feel like you've done a good job, try not to worry about it. It's the interviewer's job to write a good article, not yours. It takes practice to become good at giving interviews.

I was helped a lot by the fact that the firm I worked for had a good PR dept. There was usually an experienced PR person sitting next to me to pass me notes or give me nonverbal cues as to the types of things to say (and not say).

More advice: Try not to say anything that you don't want "on the record." It's not that ethical interviewers will use information that you asked them not to use, but it just makes the writer's job harder..

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do just fine. If you're bright enough to win a scholarship last year, then I expect you're brighter than most people the writer has interviewed.

A couple more thoughts: Maybe try talking to a friend, and have the friend ask the kinds of questions you expect to get, so you can practice your answers, and make notes of your best ones. Also, see if you can find out ahead of time more detail on reason on why the article is being written, and who the "audience" is. Then you can tailor your comments to be the types of comments the writer is most interested in.

​Thanks for the advice! The phone call went fine. It was different from what I expected. Apparently the person from my school just wanted to ask me some preliminary questions in preparation for a video interview that will be taped next week. So now I have to be interviewed on camera! Kinda stressful, but I'm sure I will do well.

I will use your suggestion of rehearsing the type of answers I'll give. The interviewer gave me a general idea of what I'll need to say, so now I can get my thoughts together, practice with friends, etc. :)

HopefulHeart

I came across this play adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time that I wrote years ago. Somehow I managed to condense the whole plot of the novel into a few notebook pages of hilariously simplistic dialogue. I recall "performing" the play with stuffed animals, Barbies, and a large pink pillow (to represent the evil giant brain). I revised the ending of the novel a bit, so that the climax of the play consisted of all of the characters, including the giant brain, abruptly launching into a big dance party.

Maybe if I stage this play again and film it, it'll go viral on Youtube. ;)

HopefulHeart

I just figured out that I haven't had a haircut in 20 months.  I need to get my hair trimmed before I reach Rapunzel level.

Edited by HopefulHeart

Not A Mallard

I can't believe how much they spoiled in the new Terminator Genysis trailer. But it still got me excited.

HopefulHeart

I just found out that my application to my preferred school for transferring is in the final stages of the review process!! Soon I'll know if I am accepted! It's a selective research university, and I really want to get in. *fingers crossed* :)

I WAS ACCEPTED!

:) :) :)

Now I'm praying that I get a good financial aid package....

I have enrolled at the university! YAY!

I also finally added a blurb to the "About Me" part of my Phatmass profile. I was tired of seeing it blank lol.

HopefulHeart

Book-wise, I like Narnia better than LOTR. Some parts of LOTR were outstanding (Shelob's Lair!), but other sections didn't hold my interest well. I also found the writing too verbose and self-consciously epic at times. Narnia held my interest much more consistently and had better characterization, imho.

Not A Mallard

Book-wise, I like Narnia better than LOTR. Some parts of LOTR were outstanding (Shelob's Lair!), but other sections didn't hold my interest well. I also found the writing too verbose and self-consciously epic at times. Narnia held my interest much more consistently and had better characterization, imho.

​I'm still slogging through The Two Towers. Haven't read Narnia yet.