An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life After College 3: More Rants And Revelations

MissyP89

LOL I can picture what I imagine he looked like. Sounds like the boys are just jealous they didn't get to meet her, too. Haha.

brianthephysicist

Ran into M. She's doing much better today.  Still got some stuff to sort out but she's back on her feet enough to make it til Saturday, which she did confirm.  Meeting her 8:30AM.  Big yawns all around lol.

Thats pretty ugly Papist...

Blessed Sacrament?

I liked it more in person, the camera picks the lights up a little odd.  I thought of it as a small way of lifting Him up and surrounding Him with beauty to help inspire awe and reverence, kind of like how cathedrals are built to lift our eyes to the mysteries of Heaven.  

But hey, everyone's got their own style and there's nothing wrong with that.

Indeed. However, there are guidelines. For example, there shouldn't be more than 6 candles when using a monstrance. and the Blessed Sacrament exposed must never be left unattended. But if so, a white cloth needs to be but over the monstrance.  Sorry to be a downer. I don't want to come off too CAMish, but the pic made me cringe. 

Anyway, when is the semester over for you?

brianthephysicist

Indeed. However, there are guidelines. For example, there shouldn't be more than 6 candles when using a monstrance. and the Blessed Sacrament exposed must never be left unattended. But if so, a white cloth needs to be but over the monstrance.  Sorry to be a downer. I don't want to come off too CAMish, but the pic made me cringe. 

Anyway, when is the semester over for you?

Never knew about the 6 candles thing.  Where does that come from?

And yes, I knew about never leaving Him unattended.  I don't know for absolute certain with this event being that I wasn't there, but I've been to a similar event by this group and they had at least 1 person there all day.

What is "CAMish"?

brianthephysicist

Oops forgot to answer your question lol.  My last final is Wed the 22nd, but I also have to finish grading papers, which may be finished before then or take a couple days extra (I hope not though).

oh my goodness (don't blasphemy). I laughed so hard I had an asthma attck. lol. http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/17-animals-that-dont-even-know-what-just-happened-to-them

My editor loves funny animal pictures and videos. We share them a lot when I'm here at night ... this will be the highlight of her day. Hahahaha. Thanks!

We shot some acupuncture photos yesterday. Everyone looks so calm and peaceful with needles sticking out of their ears. It gave me the chills! I think I'm going to incorporate that in my story somehow. "The thought of having tiny needles stuck into your ears, hands or feet might send a shiver down your spine."

Never knew about the 6 candles thing.  Where does that come from?

And yes, I knew about never leaving Him unattended.  I don't know for absolute certain with this event being that I wasn't there, but I've been to a similar event by this group and they had at least 1 person there all day.

What is "CAMish"?

Number of Candles required:

• Reservation in a tabernacle: 1 candle or oil lamp
  • Exposition in a ciborium: 2 candles
  • Exposition in a monstrance: 4 - 6 candles

Oops forgot to answer your question lol.  My last final is Wed the 22nd, but I also have to finish grading papers, which may be finished before then or take a couple days extra (I hope not though).

Nice. Do you have an office there on campus?

brianthephysicist

Number of Candles required:

• Reservation in a tabernacle: 1 candle or oil lamp
  • Exposition in a ciborium: 2 candles
  • Exposition in a monstrance: 4 - 6 candles

Oh wow, they're incredibly specific.  But I can't think of a time when that was followed terribly strictly.  Typically it's placed on the altar with however many candles happen to be there on the regular for Mass, regardless of what that number is.  How many are supposed to be there for a regular Mass? (I could infer from your avatar that it's 6 but idk how flexible that number is)

Nice. Do you have an office there on campus?

Yes.  It's quite nice actually.  Not terribly clean, but it's certainly homey.  It's an office built for 4 but only two of us plus the random friends or undergrads that work there from time to time.  It's got a mini-fridge, microwave, toaster, and a coffee maker (I don't drink it so he keeps it on his desk).  Plus we can shut the door and drink beers whenever we want.  Speaking of which, there are two in the fridge...

Also I got your PM. Thanks.

Oh wow, they're incredibly specific.  But I can't think of a time when that was followed terribly strictly.  Typically it's placed on the altar with however many candles happen to be there on the regular for Mass, regardless of what that number is.  How many are supposed to be there for a regular Mass? (I could infer from your avatar that it's 6 but idk how flexible that number is)

Yes.  It's quite nice actually.  Not terribly clean, but it's certainly homey.  It's an office built for 4 but only two of us plus the random friends or undergrads that work there from time to time.  It's got a mini-fridge, microwave, toaster, and a coffee maker (I don't drink it so he keeps it on his desk).  Plus we can shut the door and drink beers whenever we want.  Speaking of which, there are two in the fridge...

Razzle dazzle.

GIRM 117. The altar is to be covered with at least one white cloth. In addition, on or next to the altar are to be placed candlesticks with lighted candles: at least two in any celebration, or even four or six, especially for a Sunday Mass or a holy day of obligation. If the Diocesan Bishop celebrates, then seven candles should be used. Also on or close to the altar, there is to be a cross with a figure of Christ crucified. The candles and the cross adorned with a figure of Christ crucified may also be carried in the Entrance Procession. On the altar itself may be placed the Book of the Gospels, distinct from the book of other readings, unless it is carried in the Entrance Procession.

The county college is putting on Les Miserables this fall! That's exciting. I'm intrigued (to see it, not be in it...all of the parts require a vocal range too high for me, I think).

Edited by MissyP89

The more you know...

Indeed. The more I know, the more I recognize the beauty :) ............. and unfortunately the ugly :(

Edited by Papist