An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Catholics Post Here

dominicansoul

faithcecelia

Im a good Catholic because I made it to Mass, on time, in spite of oversleeping after a run of very bad nights.

MissScripture

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1313877825' post='2292104']
I'm a good Catholic because I received on the tongue for the first time ever today. I was sitting there and two ladies were next to me, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. After they received on the tongue last week I said to God, "My pitiful excuse for never doing it was that I'd not know how/look like a fool trying to figure it out/didn't want to do it alone. If they show up next week again, I will." So I had my internal debate moment when I remembered that, and said "I made a promise to God, I gave Him my word. It would be sinful for me to lie to Him...so I have to do it."
[/quote]
I have received on the tongue on a couple of occasions, one was just to annoy the priest (yes, that belongs in the bad Catholics thread. :smile3:). The other time was because I was visiting my sister at the convent and we went to Mass, and I totally panicked about what to do, because I didn't know if they all received on the tongue, and so I figured I should, thought I didn't really know how. It went okay, but I'm still paranoid about it from the first time I tried to receive on the tongue and the altar server nearly beheaded me with the paten...

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1313883011' post='2292174']
i'm a good Catholic because i went to Adoration and really tried to listen to what God was telling me (but it was super hard - I think I'm spiritually deaf).
[/quote]
I usually tell God that He knows I am super dense and if he wants to tell me something, it needs to be super painfully obvious. Sometimes, He takes the painfully part literally. :|

I am a good Catholic because I went to confession before Mass last night.

Off with MS's head! That is kinda funny though! I totally understand the panic. Totally. (And annoying priests is a bad Catholic thing? I'm a bad Catholic then. :| )

I guess I'm a good catholic, because on my walk today through the cemetery I noticed a vase of flowers had been knocked over by the wind, so I righted it. An American flag had been knocked down at the grave of a 29 year old killed overseas in Iraq or Afghanistan and I replanted it in the soil by his grave.

I also ended up in tears twice (darn Quals stress). Once was at a grave marked Youngkin; it had a husband, wife, and two kids. The wife and two kids had dates next to their names. The husband had "1858-19". The other was when I was thinking, "I bet a family wouldn't mind if I rested on a bench they placed as a marker." and saw one in the quite well hidden Jewish part of the cemetery (I think they're afraid of vandalism). I started to move towards it when my throat just siezed up "In memorial for the victims of the Holocaust". All my petty problems from awkward things to my Qualifiers stress just seemed to pale in comparison to people whose lives were ended so brutally and I just cried and when I finished, asked Saint Edith Stein and Saint Maximilian Kolbe to pray for me, a sinner. (And then I noticed someone visiting a relative's grave had just witnessed my entire breakdown.)

MissScripture

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1313941907' post='2292579']
Off with MS's head! That is kinda funny though! I totally understand the panic. Totally. (And annoying priests is a bad Catholic thing? I'm a bad Catholic then. :| )

I guess I'm a good catholic, because on my walk today through the cemetery I noticed a vase of flowers had been knocked over by the wind, so I righted it. An American flag had been knocked down at the grave of a 29 year old killed overseas in Iraq or Afghanistan and I replanted it in the soil by his grave.

I also ended up in tears twice (darn Quals stress). Once was at a grave marked Youngkin; it had a husband, wife, and two kids. The wife and two kids had dates next to their names. The husband had "1858-19". The other was when I was thinking, "I bet a family wouldn't mind if I rested on a bench they placed as a marker." and saw one in the quite well hidden Jewish part of the cemetery (I think they're afraid of vandalism). I started to move towards it when my throat just siezed up "In memorial for the victims of the Holocaust". All my petty problems from awkward things to my Qualifiers stress just seemed to pale in comparison to people whose lives were ended so brutally and I just cried and when I finished, asked Saint Edith Stein and Saint Maximilian Kolbe to pray for me, a sinner. (And then I noticed someone visiting a relative's grave had just witnessed my entire breakdown.)
[/quote]
One thing I'm actually looking forward to when we move is being close to a cemetery with several family members in it (great-grandma, great-aunts/uncles, etc.) because I like going to cemeteries to pray for the souls in Purgatory and ask for prayers, but I feel weird if I don't actually know anyone there.

Oh that's neat! Moving to where you have family buried so you can pray for them! And yeah, I've walked it this summer mainly to try and destress and have a quiet environment to study. I did "adopt" two graves to pray for though as I make my rounds. (And Amen to it being weird...)

MissScripture

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1313942803' post='2292587']
Oh that's neat! Moving to where you have family buried so you can pray for them! And yeah, I've walked it this summer mainly to try and destress and have a quiet environment to study. I did "adopt" two graves to pray for though as I make my rounds. (And Amen to it being weird...)
[/quote]
Well, that part wasn't exactly intentional. :hehe2: Though, my husband did tell the guy in the interview that I had family there. When he mentioned that to me, I was like, "Um...yeah...in the cemetery..." :smile3: I also like to clean up the neglected looking plots. (And I also like to look at the names, and imagine who the person was and what their life was like)

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1313952447' post='2292696']
yeah, you just left early.....
[/quote]

<_< you try arguing with my mom. In church. see how far that gets you.

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1313953572' post='2292715']
you left early and you argue with your mom? wow... you are totally racking up the Jesus points.....
[/quote]

I'm not the one who calls 'em Jesus points.

LaPetiteSoeur

I 'm a good Catholic because I said the Divine Mercy Chaplet, the Chaplet of Love, AND the rosary before Mass. Granted, I got there ridiculously early (8:45 for a 10 mass, but I meant to eat breakfast but the dining hall wasn't open!), but I got it done for the day!

IAAGC because I signed up to be a Eucharistic Minister, confirmation sponsor, and a musician. I like the campus church. But I still miss my old one in the north east!