Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

Okay so I talked to Fr. B (sd/vocation one) and he said that he has been in contact with Mother Dolores Hart!!! He called to get advice and she is sending a letter for me to read he said!!! Super excited and yet nervous! but there is that feeling of peace that people always talk about!

Prayers for granddad still, he went to chemo today and that will just make him weaker. My mom is staying with them tonight to watch on things so I hope everything goes alright.

Posted

Wow, Carter!!!!    When you start to correspond with Mother Dolores, be sure to mention that when you won the Summer Reading competition last year, you asked your 'winnings' be sent to them.  Which we did!!!!

 

I keep getting thank-you and 'please send more' letters from them.... wish I had more to send them, but please let her know I am praying for them!  :)

 

What did you think about the video about the Sisters Servants of Mary?   Are they not a neat community???? (Not that I think you will end up there -- just think they do a beautiful work!)

 

Posted

I was at school when I read your post about them so I didn't watch the video then but right when I got home I watched it right away. They are a fascinating community!

I kind of forgot about winning last year! I will let her know that they are in your prayers. Boy, I love when the oil get put on the wheels and things start moving! Oh and tomorrow and school Fr. B is having a vocation talk for all of the high school... they are always so awkward cause I don't want to be "Hey I am discerning!!!"! I just need to look uninterested so my class doesn't suspect anything. I will act like I am reading a book! (I will try not to actually read it, no promises!!!) :P

 

Posted

You may want to tactfully remind Father that you don't want to be 'outed' as 'hey, look who is discerning!!'  Because sometimes well-intentioned people can do that without thinking... and I think you are right to 'keep the secret of the King' for now.... God has funny surprises sometimes.

 

Funny story about Mother Dolores... when i was still in elementary or early high school, I remember getting my hair cut in a beauty shop and while I was waiting reading one of those beauty mags about this actress who had just taken vows as a nun..... Imagine that!   Yup, it was Mother Dolores...

 

I think the Servants of Mary, Ministers of the Sick do INCREDIBLE work... as do the Hawthorne Dominicans, Servants for the relief of incurable cancer.  Their style of service has been of great help and example to me, and both communities are very much contemplatives in action.  :)

 

You?  Read a BOOK?  NEVER!!!!!  :p

Posted

Okay, so religion class went okay. I acted like I never knew what religious life was... Father did not point me out! (Thank God!!!) And everything went smoothly. 

Lol, me read a book! That will happen when Hell freezes over! :p 

Posted

I guess it is time for CarterMia to read a book.  :eek:

 

52ce9806df964.image.jpg

Posted

Yes, there REALLY is a place called Hell, Michgan.

 

Friend visited there a few summers ago -- it was NOT frozen when she visited.... but she said this was great:

 

screamsicecream.jpg

 

 

And this could be useful... great while reading BOOKS, Carter!

 

12309011-large.jpeg

 

Red Robin offers free chili if Hell, Michigan freezes over...

Spem in alium
Posted

Yes, there REALLY is a place called Hell, Michgan.

 

Friend visited there a few summers ago -- it was NOT frozen when she visited.... but she said this was great:

 

screamsicecream.jpg

 

 

And this could be useful... great while reading BOOKS, Carter!

 

12309011-large.jpeg

 

Red Robin offers free chili if Hell, Michigan freezes over...

 

:hehe2:  :rotfl2: This made me laugh so much. I also went on their website... http://www.gotohellmi.com/

 

Keeping you, your granddad and family in my prayers, Carter. :)

Posted

:p

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:hehe2: :lol:

Posted

Okay so today I went bowling on a field trip and I brought my kindle with me. I didn't want to bowl so I went off into a corner, read, and listened to music. Fr. B (one of the chaperones) came up to me and told me jokingly that I was extremely anti-social! And I agreed and went back to my book, he didn't leave. I ignored and he finally went away, like I do to all people young and old alike. Then later he asked me about it again and I said I hated noise and I needed some time to just chill, that was what this field trip was about anyways wasn't it? He agreed but told me that I needed to get out there and I asked him if he knew how many extracurricular I was in. He said no, so I listed a few off and I asked him if he got my point. He understood but he told me to go act like a kid. I smiled and said when great responsibility is put upon someone they must grow up; sometimes to fast and sometimes to slow. I think he got my drift since he knows about granddad and some other stuff. He said nice speaking to me and I went onto my next class.

 

Was I too anti-social? Rude? This is my natural personality and I hate to act like a peppy extrovert when I just want to be left alone to play the piano or read my books!  Oh well, what is done is done.

Spem in alium
Posted

Okay so today I went bowling on a field trip and I brought my kindle with me. I didn't want to bowl so I went off into a corner, read, and listened to music. Fr. B (one of the chaperones) came up to me and told me jokingly that I was extremely anti-social! And I agreed and went back to my book, he didn't leave. I ignored and he finally went away, like I do to all people young and old alike. Then later he asked me about it again and I said I hated noise and I needed some time to just chill, that was what this field trip was about anyways wasn't it? He agreed but told me that I needed to get out there and I asked him if he knew how many extracurricular I was in. He said no, so I listed a few off and I asked him if he got my point. He understood but he told me to go act like a kid. I smiled and said when great responsibility is put upon someone they must grow up; sometimes to fast and sometimes to slow. I think he got my drift since he knows about granddad and some other stuff. He said nice speaking to me and I went onto my next class.

 

Was I too anti-social? Rude? This is my natural personality and I hate to act like a peppy extrovert when I just want to be left alone to play the piano or read my books!  Oh well, what is done is done.

 

I don't think so. I can't deal with loud noise, I like alone time, and need it sometimes in social situations, so I think it's okay for you to actively seek time out if you feel you really need it - and especially if you're going through a difficult time. Normally if I'm in a social situation and feel the need to be alone for a bit, I'll just tell my friends first or excuse myself. If someone wants to talk while I'm getting some space, I try not to shrug them off, even if it's interrupting me. Sometimes, letting people talk when I've instead wanted to be alone has been very fruitful - probably much more so than not listening and separating myself would have been. 

Posted

Thanks Spem!

 

Last night I went out and was Rosie the Riveter! Got a boat load of candy and babysat my little cousins while I did it. Good night over all I think! :)

Spem in alium
Posted

Thanks Spem!

 

Last night I went out and was Rosie the Riveter! Got a boat load of candy and babysat my little cousins while I did it. Good night over all I think! :)

 

Haha, I just read this post while listening to an interview with Malala Yousafzai, and just as I read about you dressing as Rosie the Riveter, the interviewer mentioned Rosie the Riveter!  :hehe2:

Sounds like a great night for you!

Posted

lol... A lot of people dressed up as Rosie this past year... At least I was the only one dressed up as her at school! That would have been awkward!

Posted

So I was having a conversation with someone a couple weeks ago who knew I was discerning and she was just like you could enter Dominican Mother of the Eucharist. Then she added you probably haven't ever heard of them. I said oh the DSMME!!!  I have heard them speak every afternoon for my entire childhood, but Benedictines are SOOOOO much better! :p She just kind of looked at me. #youknowIamcrazy

Posted

We were running a BIG group of minions this year... babies, middle school, teens... and YUP adults!   A few zombies, a LOT of glorious princesses... and basically a bunch of happy trick-or-treaters!   Where I live we get about 300 visitors per Halloween... is a BIG day in the 'community' where I live!  Everyone puts up decorations -- bigger than Christmas because it is is something all the adults and kids can get into....

Spem in alium
Posted

So I was having a conversation with someone a couple weeks ago who knew I was discerning and she was just like you could enter Dominican Mother of the Eucharist. Then she added you probably haven't ever heard of them. I said oh the DSMME!!!  I have heard them speak every afternoon for my entire childhood, but Benedictines are SOOOOO much better! :P She just kind of looked at me. #youknowIamcrazy

 

Yeeeeaaaah Benedictines!!!! :)

puellapaschalis
Posted

There should be and surely would have been an OSB dance, were it not for the fact that we're known for our beautiful, solemn liturgies and dancing just isn't...ick.

Posted

I would give you guys 50000000000000000000000000000000 props if I could! Looking for a new case for me Kindle Touch. Any suggestions?

ChristinaTherese
Posted

I found one for my basic Kindle on Amazon that looked like a book cover.... I'd do a search on Amazon for what you want and see what comes up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...