Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

ChristinaTherese
Posted

Was it your first time playing an organ?

Posted

Yes, and I caught on with it after a few songs. I started to fill like I had been playing it for my whole life.

Posted

Today's is my birthday!!!

I woke up and took flowers to the Blessed Mother at Church since she needed a gift for her birthday, ya know. And then I served Mass, the priest was 20 minutes late (overslept!). He asked me what I was doing up (since we had the day off from school) and I told him it was my/Blessed Mother's birthday. So at the end of Mass he said, "We have two songs to sing..." And then went into Happy Birthday, but when he got to the name part he just kind of looked at me and I whispered Carter... He is a new priest so I cut him some slack, but if you don't know someone's name then you shouldn't be singing Happy Birthday to them. It was sweet though, and then I went out to breakfast with some of the daily Mass goers and now I am typing this. Now I have to go clean my room and do Geometry homework (a take-home test). So much fun!

Posted

Today's is my birthday!!!
I woke up and took flowers to the Blessed Mother at Church since she needed a gift for her birthday, ya know. And then I served Mass, the priest was 20 minutes late (overslept!). He asked me what I was doing up (since we had the day off from school) and I told him it was my/Blessed Mother's birthday. So at the end of Mass he said, "We have two songs to sing..." And then went into Happy Birthday, but when he got to the name part he just kind of looked at me and I whispered Carter... He is a new priest so I cut him some slack, but if you don't know someone's name then you shouldn't be singing Happy Birthday to them. It was sweet though, and then I went out to breakfast with some of the daily Mass goers and now I am typing this. Now I have to go clean my room and do Geometry homework (a take-home test). So much fun!


Happy birthday! :)
Posted

Thanks! I haven't even started on my room or my take-home test. I have been writing memorandums seeking permission to do pro-life events at school. And then I went to prolifeworld.com and they have super cute tshirts! I know what I am doing with my birthday money!

ChristinaTherese
Posted

You have the best birthday ever. And I think (I haven't fact checked this) that St. Therese professed vows on Sept. 8. It's in Story of a Soul, I think, so somebody with the book should check it out.

Posted

I just looked it up online and she did make her final profession on September 8th. I always see a lot of connections to 9/8; St. Augustine, Florida was founded, the first Mass in the New World was said, saints do stuff on it... and so on.

Posted

Homework is done and piano is played! FREE TIME FOR ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

After Mass today, since I served... again...) I asked Fr. SoandSo if I could just stay in the church and play the piano and organ all day since it was the perfect day to do that. He said no, but then he went on to ask me something else...

Father: Carter, have you ever thought about going to stay at a convent for a week?

Me: uhmmmm.... yes...

Father: Have you stayed at a convent for a week?

Me: No...

Father: Would you be willing to stay for a week?

Me: Maybe...

Father: You notice I said nothing about a vocation, yes?

Me: Yes, at least you didn't do what Fathers blahssss...... (like five different priest) said and then I stop listening.

Father: umhhh very interesting that all of them would notice that...

Me (having a sudden urge to go to math class): I have to go, wouldn't want to be late to Mr. H's class.

 

I practically ran out of there back to the school... I think Father will be looking for discernment/any type of retreat for me to go to. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing... Ideas anybody?

Posted

While in theory I would say that such a visit would not be a bad thing, it sounds like you're being pushed/pressured in this and that is a bad thing. While I am sure Father means well, visiting a community or going on a retreat when you're in that kind of mind frame could make it difficult for you to truly appreciate the experience.

 

That's just my two cents, but how did you feel about the idea when it was suggested? Aside from "run away"? :hehe:

Posted

 

 

I practically ran out of there back to the school... I think Father will be looking for discernment/any type of retreat for me to go to. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing... Ideas anybody?

If Father would like to continue this discussion and you don't want to, don't be afraid to tell him that you're uncomfortable, that this isn't an adventure that you're ready to take, at least not right now. 

 

Or, if you DO want to check out a discernment retreat, go ahead! You'll run the risk of meeting very nice people who give you too much food.

 

It is up to you. Neither choice is wrong.

Posted

My main thing was that I have tried to hide my discernment and everything and I was kind of taken aback that he, only knowing me for a month, could tell I was contemplating the idea. Another thing is if it was on the weekend I usually go to my grandparent's house and help out there on the farm because of my grandfather's illness. I would feel like I was not doing my duty to my family if I went and no one could help my grandparents that weekend. Also, most people will not let a 15 year old go on a discernment retreat. It is usually 16+ isn't it?

Posted

I'm twice your age, so maybe I have a better perspective on what grandparents think (lol!)...I wouldn't worry about "neglecting" your family, as long as they have advance notice that you might be gone. Even Moms take a few days off now and then, in spite of the fact that they have to keep the whole world running! You're 15 and you think you *might* like to go away for one weekend to continue to discern what path to take in life; to me this seems like a very, very, very small inconvenience. But then, I haven't actually spoken with your grandparents to confirm the exact size of the inconvenience...

 

I didn't say that to try to push you into doing something if you aren't ready to do it. You seem very responsible and you'll probably figure this one out all by yourself; not just this current dilemma but all the dilemmas that tag along behind it. Annnnnd I have no idea about the age limit for discernment retreats...perhaps it would vary depending on the community?

Posted

I'm twice your age, so maybe I have a better perspective on what grandparents think (lol!)...I wouldn't worry about "neglecting" your family, as long as they have advance notice that you might be gone. Even Moms take a few days off now and then, in spite of the fact that they have to keep the whole world running! You're 15 and you think you *might* like to go away for one weekend to continue to discern what path to take in life; to me this seems like a very, very, very small inconvenience. But then, I haven't actually spoken with your grandparents to confirm the exact size of the inconvenience...

 

I didn't say that to try to push you into doing something if you aren't ready to do it. You seem very responsible and you'll probably figure this one out all by yourself; not just this current dilemma but all the dilemmas that tag along behind it. Annnnnd I have no idea about the age limit for discernment retreats...perhaps it would vary depending on the community?

Thousandth post.  :punk:

ChristinaTherese
Posted

Age limits do vary. I saw one order advertise retreats for girls as young as 8.

Posted

Goo! They must have really needed postulants! :p Well, today Fr. soandso took my class on a retreat to the Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption and he kept on asking me how I liked it. I have been to the cathedral plenty of times I said but every time you go you always find something new to look at! I even got to serve at the Mass there today! It was really cool and they did chant!!!! And I was the only one, besides Father, who knew the words to it...  

Posted

Goo! They must have really needed postulants! :P

And here I thought 18 year old postulants caused enough damage already! :hehe2:

ChristinaTherese
Posted (edited)

It was a thriving young order, so I doubt it. ;) They could have organized something general, too, which might be great. It was the order Ave entered, which is in the US and Mexico I think and has really long veils. I can't remember the name at the moment.

Edited by Christina Thérèse
Posted

Oh... Well that is good it is a thriving order!

Posted

I just took a three hour nap...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...