Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

I just took a three hour nap...

 

Hopefully it didn't turn out anything like a 3 hour tour?

Posted

Hold on, wait, what? Really confused about the tour part...

Posted

Hold on, wait, what? Really confused about the tour part...

 

Oops...that was prolly a little too old for you? Its from the theme song of "Gilligan's Island."

Posted

This will probably clarify things, Carter....   :giggle:

 

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfSLuEj99d0&noredirect=1[/media]

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Yep, that was a little old for me! :P

 

Okay so a lot has happened in my life since I lost posted anything in this thread! I will list it off first then go into more detail: granddad was put in the hospital for almost a week, I received a rose on St. Therese's feast day for the One Rose day by Imagine Sisters, I took Fr. soanso up one his offer to talk if I every wanted to, I twisted my ankle, my team won a volleyball game, and Granddad got out of the hospital. See I said a lot happened!

 

First for Granddad, last Friday mom, grandma, granddad, and I went to the doctor's office for granddad and he was omitted to the hospital because he kept on falling and has had blood in his urine. At the hospital they ran over 40 fluid bags to try to flush out his bladder until they went inside and checked around. His cancer has spread everywhere and is in the bladder. Now he is home and my mom is over at my grandparents' house watching over granddad.

 

I will put the next two things together (rose and conversation with Father). I got home late on Oct. 1 from a volleyball game and mom went to check the mail and on the front porch was one knock-out rose in a vase with a card addressed to me. The card was from two parishioners basically summarizing what was said on Imagine Sister's website. I took one day to pray on it and I decided that was my sign I had been asking for from St. Therese, then I went and sought advice from Fr. soandso. So I went to him before class and asked if I could speak to him during lunch and he said if it was urgent he could hold his class for 10 minutes. I said I have 3 years, I think I can wait (I never said what I wanted to talk to him about since there were other students in the room.) I went back to his room during lunch and told him about the rose and he argued with me that St. Therese likes to stalk people and could see why I was hesitant to ask for a sign from her. Then he asked me what order I liked and when I said Benedictines then he looked like a kid on Christmas day! He said that he loved their charisma and had an aunt who had entered a Benny community. What community, or if I had even looked was his next question. I laughed and said I have looked a lot and I like the Abbey of Regina Laudis the best. He said he would look it up and then just kind of looked at me and said, "Are you sacred?" I, who don't often curse, said, "Hell Yes!" He laughed and then he excused me to lunch/band.

 

I twisted my ankle tonight playing volleyball when we won! It was the first game (out of six) on the second serve and I went for a really hard return to try to get it over and ended up hearing a pop in my ankle. My coach took me out for a few serves but then I went back into the game and offered up the pain! It was senior night tonight so I wanted to make the school proud.  

 

Okay, so I think that is everything! I probably forgot a lot of stuff to say but this seems like the most important or recent events. (twisting my ankle and winning tonight isn't important...) Oh well I better get some sleep!

brandelynmarie
Posted

That's alot, Cartermia!

I have to laugh because Thérèse doesn't send me roses...


...she sends me medals & rosaries with roses & herself on them!

ChristinaTherese
Posted (edited)

If your ankle still hurts you might want to put a brace on it or at least make sure it gets rest.... (I sprained my ankle a few months ago.)

Edited by Christina Thérèse
Posted

That IS a lot, CarterMia!  But you sound like God is giving you the graces that you need.

 

Praying especially for you and your family and your GrandDad.  No one likes to get a report like that -- that cancer has spread all over -- for someone they love.  However, this does give you some time to say all the things you want to say, and for others to do the same.   I will hope and pray that you get the loving support you all need.  Hospice is a wonderful organization, btw..... my husband's mom got a 'less than 6 months' diagnosis and that made her eligible for the support of hospice.  They send nurses and social workers, and home health care people and tons of other to support the patient and the family so THEY can focus on spending good time together, knowing that their loved one will get the best possible pain management and other help to make best use of the time available.   We could not have done it without them.  AND you will probably have much the same role that I just did at my MIL's bedside - just being a loving, thoughtful person of faith who was THERE for Jesus AND for each other (Like Mary and St. John and Mary Magdalene at the foot of Jesus' cross)... it isn't an easy place to be, but it is a privilege, and a chance to be present at an astonishing mystery, watching someone transition into God's world...   PM me if/as you want to connect, OK?   

 

Watch the ankle, and stay off of it if they tell you to do so.  Think of it as a chance to do some reading... not that you ever read!

 

Very exciting about the Rose.  OK I'm a Carmelite, but I don't really put too much stock into the 'St Therese send me a rose' thing -- because I think she has more important things to do in her ministry of 'doing good on earth' than hunting roses for people.  But she does stalk people... especially people with vocations.  :)

 

I think it is beautiful that several people have said to you, WE see in you what would make a fine religious.  I think all of us would agree!!!!! And yes, I think you'd make a fine Benedictine!  And the key to that is the combo of prayer and work and hospitality that is their charism.  I think you have those elements in your life already... and if you want some ideas, we can help, too.   So move forward with great courage!!!!

 

Hmmmm....  I know this isn't the community you want to join, but you might find this interesting -- it is about a group of Sisters, the Sister Servants of Mary, Ministers to the Sick.  They have a very unique ministry of serving at the bedsides of the sick and dying IN THEIR OWN HOMES, especially at NIGHT.  They focus their spirituality on adoration and seeing themselves with Mary at the foot of the Cross.  

 

For whatever reason, God may have some of this coming into your life, and so learning from them may be very helpful for you! 

 

And check the list of things of 'what it means to be a servant of Mary' and the 'day in the life' slideshow at the right side of this home page:  http://www.sisterservantsofmary.org/

 

And here is a video about them -- I hold them in awe....

 

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKOmGuuWgeE[/media]

 

 

 

Here is the video....

 

ANOTHER book you might enjoy -- it is an older book, but really a good one -- is The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson.  You probably can find it in a library.    

 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cardinal-Henry-Morton-Robinson/dp/9997412613

 

Would be really interested to see what you think of it!!!

 

Good to hear you so positive!

 

 

Posted (edited)

 I went back to his room during lunch and told him about the rose and he argued with me that St. Therese likes to stalk people...

 

 

 

Yeah, she do dat... :hehe2:

 

Prayers for you and your grandfather. I know you're close to him and this must be a difficult time for everyone.
 

Edited by SilentJoy
Posted

Thanks for the prayers! AL: we just watched the movie in religion class while Father was away on a mandatory retreat.

TT: I have taken it easy but I have gone to practice the last two days since district is on Monday and I don't want to not be practiced. My ankle/foot is feeling a little bit better but I have a huge bruise running along the side of my foot and it is still kind of swollen.

Silentjoy: Yep that is why I was so hesitant prayed to her!

 

Say a prayer for our volleyball team on Monday, we really want to win since the other team has been bragging in the papers that they are going to beat us!

Posted

 

Say a prayer for our volleyball team on Monday, we really want to win since the other team has been bragging in the papers that they are going to beat us!

 

Don't worry. Who reads the paper anymore? ;-)
 

Posted

You have been busy!!!

 

I hope your ankle gets better soon. Being hurt is no fun. I once sprained all the muscles on the top of my foot and they had to put me in a hard cast for 10 days to make sure that I didn't move it! (The Dr gave me the option of a soft cast but my mom knew I wouldn't keep still enough in that!)

Posted

Lol, that sounds like what I would do TT! It is slowly getting better, serving Mass today was kind of a challenge but I was down to serve so I did. I was hoping I would be the tallest server there so I could carry the cross and not have to genuflect! But no, someone just had to be taller! :p  

 

Posted

Sheesh, CarterMia, you must live in the Land of the Giants!    What are they feeding you?????

Posted

I am only 5' 10.5", the other person was a guy and a senior... He was like 6 '7" 

 

If you go to Nicholas County Kentucky they must just feed the basketball team pure corn because they are like cattle!

Posted

I am feeling very small at 5'4".       very very small....

Posted

Lol Al!

 

I just reread what I said about Nicholas Co. people and if anybody from there reads this thread (very unlikely) I am deeply sorry! :console:

Posted

Lol Al!

 

I just reread what I said about Nicholas Co. people and if anybody from there reads this thread (very unlikely) I am deeply sorry! :console:

 

Don't worry. Who reads Phatmass? :unsure:
 

Posted

No one reads a strange German thread and gets this far at least, besides you guys!

 

Life is going, Father (one who I told I might have a vocation) said that he would like to speak with me sometime and I am kind of nervous (uhmmmm.... that is an understatement) about moving forward. I had grown to like my little cloud of not knowing what I was going to do and not doing anything, but I feel like I should keep moving forward. At least I think that is what I need to do but hey I am just 15 what should I know!?!

 

Volleyball is over but know the school play is starting up and so is the academic team. I must say the old saying of "no rest for the wicked" must be true. Oh and the pro-life group had two speakers this past week!!! The first one was the VICE-PRESIDENT of the NATIONAL Students for Life organization and the second one was Jay Watts (youtube him, he is really good.) About Tina, the vice-president, my regional coordinator called me at 10 o'clock (at night) on Monday asking me if I would like to meet his boss and have her speak tomorrow, never saying that she was the VP of SFLA. I said I would try to get some people to come but I couldn't guarantee a lot of people.  He said okay and  scheduled a time after school to get people together. I sent out a massive text to everyone and I got 15 yesses so I told my regional coordinator that and he said that would be fine. Well the next day, 10 of those 15 people forget and go home... So I am running around the school trying to find anyone who is not doing anything to come and listen to Tina speak. I find 3 more people and I decided that 10% of our students population is enough.

At the beginning of the talk Tina said she was the VP and my mouth dropped, I was in the presence of one of the closest people in the pro-life fight in the US. I was in total awe! And then she said her husband founded Rock-for-Life and again my mouth dropped. I saw all the puzzle pieces fitting together in this crazy web of pro-life titles and organizations. It was awe.some!

Well, I best be doing my homework now...

 

Posted

Done with homework and trying to start on an application for a summer leadership camp only available for sophomores. It is called HOBY and it looks really good on college resumes and I think it would help me with this pro-life group. I am trying to rap my brain around my volunteer activities, community service, and activities in which I showed leadership potential. Can I just say my life in general!?! :p It would be true, at least the volunteer activities maybe not the leadership. So any ideas?

Oh and then I get to write and essay describing the most rewarding and challenging aspect of being a leader in your school and community. Boy, I can list a lot of challenges but I have yet to reap the rewards of my effort so I will see what I can write up. I have until November 11 to get it to our guidance counselor.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...