An Old School Catholic Message Board

Was Macht Der Fuchs Sagan?

cartermia

I practically ran out of there back to the school... I think Father will be looking for discernment/any type of retreat for me to go to. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing... Ideas anybody?

If Father would like to continue this discussion and you don't want to, don't be afraid to tell him that you're uncomfortable, that this isn't an adventure that you're ready to take, at least not right now. 

Or, if you DO want to check out a discernment retreat, go ahead! You'll run the risk of meeting very nice people who give you too much food.

It is up to you. Neither choice is wrong.

My main thing was that I have tried to hide my discernment and everything and I was kind of taken aback that he, only knowing me for a month, could tell I was contemplating the idea. Another thing is if it was on the weekend I usually go to my grandparent's house and help out there on the farm because of my grandfather's illness. I would feel like I was not doing my duty to my family if I went and no one could help my grandparents that weekend. Also, most people will not let a 15 year old go on a discernment retreat. It is usually 16+ isn't it?

I'm twice your age, so maybe I have a better perspective on what grandparents think (lol!)...I wouldn't worry about "neglecting" your family, as long as they have advance notice that you might be gone. Even Moms take a few days off now and then, in spite of the fact that they have to keep the whole world running! You're 15 and you think you *might* like to go away for one weekend to continue to discern what path to take in life; to me this seems like a very, very, very small inconvenience. But then, I haven't actually spoken with your grandparents to confirm the exact size of the inconvenience...

I didn't say that to try to push you into doing something if you aren't ready to do it. You seem very responsible and you'll probably figure this one out all by yourself; not just this current dilemma but all the dilemmas that tag along behind it. Annnnnd I have no idea about the age limit for discernment retreats...perhaps it would vary depending on the community?

I'm twice your age, so maybe I have a better perspective on what grandparents think (lol!)...I wouldn't worry about "neglecting" your family, as long as they have advance notice that you might be gone. Even Moms take a few days off now and then, in spite of the fact that they have to keep the whole world running! You're 15 and you think you *might* like to go away for one weekend to continue to discern what path to take in life; to me this seems like a very, very, very small inconvenience. But then, I haven't actually spoken with your grandparents to confirm the exact size of the inconvenience...

I didn't say that to try to push you into doing something if you aren't ready to do it. You seem very responsible and you'll probably figure this one out all by yourself; not just this current dilemma but all the dilemmas that tag along behind it. Annnnnd I have no idea about the age limit for discernment retreats...perhaps it would vary depending on the community?

Thousandth post.  :punk:

Goo! They must have really needed postulants! :p Well, today Fr. soandso took my class on a retreat to the Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption and he kept on asking me how I liked it. I have been to the cathedral plenty of times I said but every time you go you always find something new to look at! I even got to serve at the Mass there today! It was really cool and they did chant!!!! And I was the only one, besides Father, who knew the words to it...  

ChristinaTherese

It was a thriving young order, so I doubt it. ;) They could have organized something general, too, which might be great. It was the order Ave entered, which is in the US and Mexico I think and has really long veils. I can't remember the name at the moment.

Edited by Christina Thérèse

Hold on, wait, what? Really confused about the tour part...

Oops...that was prolly a little too old for you? Its from the theme song of "Gilligan's Island."

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, that was a little old for me! :P

Okay so a lot has happened in my life since I lost posted anything in this thread! I will list it off first then go into more detail: granddad was put in the hospital for almost a week, I received a rose on St. Therese's feast day for the One Rose day by Imagine Sisters, I took Fr. soanso up one his offer to talk if I every wanted to, I twisted my ankle, my team won a volleyball game, and Granddad got out of the hospital. See I said a lot happened!

First for Granddad, last Friday mom, grandma, granddad, and I went to the doctor's office for granddad and he was omitted to the hospital because he kept on falling and has had blood in his urine. At the hospital they ran over 40 fluid bags to try to flush out his bladder until they went inside and checked around. His cancer has spread everywhere and is in the bladder. Now he is home and my mom is over at my grandparents' house watching over granddad.

I will put the next two things together (rose and conversation with Father). I got home late on Oct. 1 from a volleyball game and mom went to check the mail and on the front porch was one knock-out rose in a vase with a card addressed to me. The card was from two parishioners basically summarizing what was said on Imagine Sister's website. I took one day to pray on it and I decided that was my sign I had been asking for from St. Therese, then I went and sought advice from Fr. soandso. So I went to him before class and asked if I could speak to him during lunch and he said if it was urgent he could hold his class for 10 minutes. I said I have 3 years, I think I can wait (I never said what I wanted to talk to him about since there were other students in the room.) I went back to his room during lunch and told him about the rose and he argued with me that St. Therese likes to stalk people and could see why I was hesitant to ask for a sign from her. Then he asked me what order I liked and when I said Benedictines then he looked like a kid on Christmas day! He said that he loved their charisma and had an aunt who had entered a Benny community. What community, or if I had even looked was his next question. I laughed and said I have looked a lot and I like the Abbey of Regina Laudis the best. He said he would look it up and then just kind of looked at me and said, "Are you sacred?" I, who don't often curse, said, "Hell Yes!" He laughed and then he excused me to lunch/band.

I twisted my ankle tonight playing volleyball when we won! It was the first game (out of six) on the second serve and I went for a really hard return to try to get it over and ended up hearing a pop in my ankle. My coach took me out for a few serves but then I went back into the game and offered up the pain! It was senior night tonight so I wanted to make the school proud.  

Okay, so I think that is everything! I probably forgot a lot of stuff to say but this seems like the most important or recent events. (twisting my ankle and winning tonight isn't important...) Oh well I better get some sleep!